Monday, May 25, 2009

My last stupid purchase


As published in the Globe and Mail, Monday, May. 25, 2009

Deirdre Kelly

Eight pook toques at $25 each. Total cost: $225, taxes included

Dave Dryden, chairman of Sleeping Children Around the World on his most recent splurge
As a former NHL goalie, hockey has always been a passion of mine. As such, in January I went to Deerhurst for its annual pond-hockey tournament where I saw someone wearing a very neat and unique winter hat.

I have always been drawn to things that are creative, which I think these hats are. They come with a sheet showing you all the ways you can wear them, from a Princess Leia style to a Donald Trump Comb-Over. I thought them too unique to pass up.

The tuques are made out of old-fashioned outdoor socks and reminded me of the days playing hockey on the pond, so there was a sentimental aspect to making the purchase as well.

Since I have six grandchildren, I bought eight.

But my enthusiasm for the tuques did not translate well with my family.

First of all, four out of six of my grandchildren live in Guatemala, and have no use for a winter hat. Another, Anaka, wore the tuque once, but never again. In the end, I never even wore mine. Shortly after I purchased the hats, I went on a Sleeping Children Around the World bedkit distribution trip with my family to Pune, India. When I returned the snow had melted.

My wife thinks I'm crazy.

These days, the hats are back in their original bag, hidden at the back of my closet beneath a pile of sweaters.

I like to think of them as a buried treasure.

I hope one day that when I reach into my closet to pull the hats out, someone else will finally share my enthusiasm, and they'll get used.
As told to Deirdre Kelly