Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Health and Happiness at McNab PS in Arnprior

As submitted by Amy Charbonneau

NOTE: Click the photos to see a larger version.


Be The Change


Mohamed Gandhi once said “be the change you want to see in the world”. No other quote has uplifted me more or inspired me in such a way as this one. Not surprisingly, as a teacher, this belief has laid the very foundation to which I teach upon and I am thrilled to see that my grade 4/5 students understand and appreciate this message too. In recent months, my class has engaged in many discussions about issues facing developing countries. One particular issue that struck home for the class was the mass number of children living in poverty worldwide. Coming from a place in which all of our basic survival needs are so easily met, many students couldn’t understand why so many children in developing countries were without adequate shelter and why so many children rarely lived to see their 5th birthday.

Although shocked by facts such as these, my students were also inspired to do something about childhood poverty; they were inspired to be the change. As a result, the 4/5 class decided to make Christmas decorations to sell as a fundraiser for Sleeping Children Around the World. Each student made a decoration and then also worked as a part of either a selling or advertising committee.

As a teacher, I am incredibly proud of the passion and commitment my class put into this project and am pleased to announce that the class raised just over $110 dollars which allowed us to purchase 3 bedkits.

On behalf of the 4/5 class, I would like to thank all of those involved in Sleeping Children Around the World. Your passion and commitment to ending childhood poverty is truly inspiring and has motivated us to continue to help others in need.

Health and Happiness,
Amy Charbonneau